How to Attract Hummingbirds
It is just about hummingbird season and here are a few facts for your to ponder regarding these amazing little birds.
Hummingbirds do not have a strong sense of smell but they have excellent sight. It is said they are attracted to bright colors, especially red but their are pros and cons to that. But most hummingbird feeders are made with red colors so it might hold some weight. It might be that they just like bright colors and these bright colored plants may make them think that plant has lots of nectar for their huge appetites.
Hummingbird feeders do supply an essential food source of nectar for hummingbirds which is a primary necessity for survival as well as does flowers they are seeking. With that in mind, it is best to hang your feeders in an open area they will be easily detected, seen and used.
As an added note, sometimes is takes a little time for a hummingbird to find your feeder, but keep on keeping on and eventually they will find it. Be sure to keep your nectar fresh for them. Make your own recipe, with no red coloring needed. Here is an easy recipe to follow:
Hummingbird Nectar Recipe:
- Step 1: Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Step 2: Add 1 cup of white granulated sugar.
- Step 3: Stir well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Step 4: Boil this mixture for 2 minutes to help prevent it from spoiling too rapidly.
- Step 5: Allow to thoroughly cool.
- Step 6: Pour into clean hummingbird feeders.
Leave a comment